Author Topic: I'm looking forward to using my new BFI garbage hat  (Read 1223 times)

Jayfosters

• View Profile
I'm looking forward to using my new BFI garbage hat
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Scored a BFI garbage man's hat recently at the GW outlet. I soon plan on putting it to use. There is a Shopping Center on the north side of my city that has 30 gallon trash cans that get serviced by an independent contractor and his wife. I scouted it out a few months back but never got around to hitting anything. The couple uses a built up truck bed and just go around to all the businesses and dump their cans into the back. It is a real high end area and SC. The problem is a movie theater and bar are right in view of all the cans, and a ton of people are going in and out even late. The trash couple comes in around 10:30 pm (when people are still around) and I could tell they had found and resold stuff out of the Vic s ecret bin. Soon I am going to don my trucker hat and a safety vest and hit the place. There is a hall way I can park on the other side and walk through to the bin. Nobody will question a thing!

I am also going to hit a book store up on that side of town which I have scored a dumpster full of books before. I will take them all and scan them later (assuming I find anything).

It may be a few days before I go depending on how I feel, but will report back if I have any luck. ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:28:01 PM by Jayfosters »

Scav

• View Profile
Re: I'm looking forward to using my new BFI garbage hat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
This could be tricky. Good luck!

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:58:08 AM »
You've scored a collectible. BFI no longer exists, they are now Allied Waste:
https://thetrashblog.com/2013/06/15/bigger-is-better/
You might be able to fool the average theater-goer. If cops get called, they'd likely know what trashmen service the area. Not sure if they'd know/care that BFI is gone for good.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:28:23 AM by plongeur66 »

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »
Did you ever get around to diving that site?

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
It is actually on the north side of the city, and I never got up there. I have been hitting the thrifts and diving locally though. I hit my vitamin store last night and got a couple amino powders. I also found a bunch of ceramic pottery and cooking stuff in a box by my storage dumpster as well. My s tap les has dried up, not find anything in them.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 12:37:34 AM »
I'll be starting up in winter mode in a few days. Will likely just do food-optimized runs every 2 or 3 weeks. Hit the half dozen paperclips, plus 2 each of badwill and pet stores on the way. Plus check out those two clothing stores. I'm not really expecting to find much.
If 1800GOTJUNK operates in your area, you might have a job opportunity if you want it. Supposedly quick to hire for $11 an hour. Sometimes a 60 hour work week, and you can keep stuff you want. They don't operate in my area, and I wouldn't want that many hours.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »
I am looking forward to cooler weather so I can get back to hitting some food stops myself. I got vero'd again last week over some r ed m o nke y j  eans. I subsequently found another pair the next day at the thrift store, so I guess I am going to have to start using c-list for my high end items. One more vero and I could be banned for good. The junk job sounds cool, I may have to look into it if fee bay ever dries up for me.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
How much did you pay for the jeans? As they retail for $600-$800, they are almost certainly fake. Thrift stores let "preferred buyers" browse items in their warehouse before offering the items on the sales floor to the general public. A real pair would have been grabbed by such a buyer (or an employee) before the public ever saw them.
https://denimology.com/2006/12/red_monkey_jeans_why_so_popula_1
Note that the "how to spot fakes" link originates from a feebay account that has since been banned.
You could try the "ioffer.com" site to get a nationwide buyer pool. With luck, a buyer will be expecting a fake and won't complain if they're offered for a "too-good-to-be-true" price.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
I paid 7.99 for both pairs. I am  fortunate to frequent a thrift store in one of the top 10 wealthiest cities in America so I do find some high end items. Used, they go for around 100 - 200 on fee bay but I notice no USA buyers sale them (probably got vero'd like me).

As for thrift store workers, I am sure some of them are clueless to what they actually have. With so many donations coming in and them only getting paid minimum wage, they likely don't care and let things slip and slide by. I see worthless shoes priced at $24.95 sitting beside like new high end brands priced relatively cheap. I have 4 thrifts I check (one is the outlet near downtown), and I go almost every day to check them. The biggest advantage I have is as a f/t flipper I can source before the p/t flippers get off between 3 -5 and show up. By the time they get there I have already picked the good stuff.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
Typical thrift store workflow these days is to offer the good stuff to VIP consignment buyers before retail employees or the public ever sees it. Those VIP buyers will help themselves to the good stuff and leave the fakes (or pay next to nothing for them).
Funniest thing about this is that urban street monkeys are paying $800 a pop for pictures of cartoon monkeys to slap onto their ass cheeks. Designer probably laughing all the way to the bank.
No luck on those clothing stores for me. First site had cameras and huge No Tresspassing signs all around. Store had a plastic cart with cloth bags presumably containing clothes outside the back door with a camera pointing right at it.
Second site had locked bins and No Tresspassing signs all over the place also. Signs warning of Video Surveillence but no actual cameras in sight. Had a pickup truck come around the corner quickly like he already knew what he was looking for. He stops off to the side while I step into the woods. Several minutes later he drives past me and then circles around the parking lot, looking at me the whole time. I slowly walk along the front of the plaza until he gets bored and leaves. Rent-A-Cop watching live feed of the cameras on a screen in his truck?

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »
Too bad no luck with the clothing stores. I would have hit the one with the bags, that is indeed how they toss the clothes. As long as the cam does not get your plate # then no worries IMO. The driver could be a cop in an unmarked car, or more likely someone who works there who spotted you while working late.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
That plaza gave me the creeps. All fenced/walled in, no woods out back to cut through. Bright lights and several dozen signs, one within a couple feet of the dumpster. Cameras likely monitored real-time.
The bags were laundry bags rather than trash bags, and nowhere near the dumpster. Could have been ~8 bags full of clothes, or a hundred bags stuffed inside of each other. Wouldn't want to wind up in the state pen and have Bubba find out stealing a bag of lingerie from Plater's is what got me there. :o