Author Topic: efray question  (Read 2176 times)

Scav

• View Profile
efray question
« on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:48 PM »
I won an auction for a Super Nintendo supposedly in good condition, functional, etc. I also bought a few games. So far I received two games, and the console itself just arrived today. Hooked it up and tried it. One game is glitchy, second game doesn't even work. All games are supposed to be functional. I should be getting a few more in tomorrow to test.

If none of the games work, I can be confident that the system itself is bad. What's the best way to handle getting it back and a refund. The guy has 100% and I don't want to ruin his feedback.

plongeur66

• View Profile
Re: efray question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:53:57 AM »
Send him a message first. Use "I have a question about using my item" reason rather than "It Doesn't work", etc. Wait 48 hours for a response. If he doesn't agree to take it back 100% at his own expense, open a feebay case. Pretty much impossible for the buyer to lose then. Feedback is optional. I wouldn't leave a positive if the item is definitely a dud and I'm out any money.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:33 PM »
Sellers always appreciate it when a buyer contacts them first with any issues to give them a chance to make it right.

If the listing says the games and console are tested and working, then that is an item not as described case. Every seller with a large inventory is going to let a few mistakes slip through. What makes the difference is how it is handled.

As I stated above I would give him a chance to make it right. Ask him to take a complete return, including shipping.

If he does not take the full return then that is when I would consider neutral or even negative feedback depending on his attitude. Also open a case. If he does take the return and you think he needs it, you can leave a positive while saying something like "item was listed as tested but did not work. Seller accepted return.". This will warn future buyers, but with 100% he is likely not a bad seller and did not do it on purpose.

Oh, and one more thing. I sale older consoles and I always test them. I tested an Xbox 360 and it worked fine. Then 3 weeks later after I left it out in my hot camper, I tried to play a game with it and it did not work. When it comes to old stuff it is possible that things can go wrong w/o a seller knowing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:52:15 PM by Jayfosters »

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

I messaged the seller like you guys said and told her the item probably had something happen in transit but I'm going to wait until I get in a different cable to try it. These old units come with RF adapters and that might have failed. Either way, she's really nice and willing to take it back and refund everything if it doesn't work. Told me she never had to take anything back before in 18 years but we'll figure it out. I'm ok with that.

Since the account is so old and 100% feedback I'm pretty sure it was running fine and something happened during shipping. We'll see what happens from here.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »
Keep in mind she could be telling you a lie. It is common for volume sellers to get returns. It could be she bought her account to make it look like she has lots of experience and feedback, but it could be someone else's. Hope it works out well. I have several plastic bins full of dived and untested consoles and wires (many will be tested and listed soon) so if you ever need a part, wires,  or something off a non working model let me know and I will check and see if I have it.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »
Virtually impossible for anybody to sell more than 100 items without a buyer demanding a return, sometimes a lot less than that.
Plenty of scam buyers, as well as ones who think their illiteracy/fickleness is to be subsidized by sellers.
Obviously listing defective items as working will make it worse.
Most buyers won't leave a negative if they get their money back. Scammers usually don't either. They just want to scoop up as much free stuff as possible without getting sellers annoyed enough to come after them. Seller's future buyers won't know about any of the returns.
Then there are competitors, illiterate and vindictive buyers that will leave a negative even before opening a dispute - or never opening a dispute at all. That's the way feebay breeds 'em.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 05:22:44 PM »
I think she's ok. She offered to give me a full refund and take the item back. I'm waiting for another console to come in so I can test the games and make sure they're good and the one she sent is a dud. Once I do that I'll let you know what happens.

It's a 25 year old console so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Then again, I'm pretty green with all this ebay stuff compared to you guys.

Thanks Jay. Do you have any SNES or N64 parts? I don't really do much with any others.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
I have a couple n64 consoles. Let me test them (this could take time as I am swamped and just now getting to my dreamcast consoles) and if they do not work you can have them just cover shipping. I think I may have a super Nintendo console as well but I need it to test any games, but I may have two let me check. I think I might have an extra snes controller also that has wires bulging by the controller if you want it let me know and I will check and see if I still have it (I toss regularly and could have already tossed it).

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »
Yeah man, definitely! Would really appreciate it. No rush, whenever you get a chance let me know.

I'd have a crack at that old controller too. Ya know as a kid I was really into video games. As I've gotten older, the new stuff really doesn't appeal to me any more. N64 and Super Nintendo are still really fun for me, despite being 20 and 25 years old. I just don't care about any new games. Is... is this what it feels like to get old?

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
Watch out. You'll likely develop a taste for shuffleboard, bingo, and crossword puzzles as you age. And you'll go through more Metamucil and prunes than you could ever dive. :)

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 06:54:02 PM »
Well I checked my inventory. I only have one super NES and one controller. I must have sold the spare one. I did find an old Sega genesis that could be an easy repair. It has a note on it that says "power jack solder". It does not have any controllers or connection wires. Let me know if you like it and I will ship it to you for the cost of shipping (priority 2 - 3 LBS). I will PM you if you are interested with my PayPal details to cover the shipping.

Also, I will let you know if I have any more finds. I have a vintage game place on my stop, and they don't toss much but when they do it is a mega score with numerous old consoles and such.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
Haha man my dad was telling me about how Metamucil is good for lowering cholesterol. Maybe... maybe I'll start drinking it. So I should be able to eat more bacon without worrying, I guess.

That's awesome Jay, yeah I'll give it a good home and fix 'er up. Shoot me a PM. And definitely let me know what else you find cause I love this older Nintendo stuff.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »
New (25 year old) system arrived today. The games work fine on this console, so the one from the original seller is a dud. I messaged her telling her as much and I'd like a refund of item price + freight, and a return label. Now we wait and see.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »
You can look at the feedback a seller has given and received, If it shows inactivity you know the account was likely purchased and not really hers.

*I sent you a PM about the genesis. Just email me your info and cover the shipping through PayPal and I will be glad to send it to you. I may have some more stuff you would like, just give me some time to get some of it sorted through.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 06:05:17 AM »
Well the seller says to follow the directions in "Purchase History" to begin the process, and I should be able to print a return label. She tells me once she receives the item, I'll be issued a refund. Is that normal, or should I be issued the refund up front? My concern is that should something happen to the package or this is a bad account who says "I never received it", I'm out my money and the package which still has some valuable components in it. Not really sure what standard procedure is with these things.