Author Topic: Air/Tire Compressor From An Air Conditioner Compressor  (Read 419 times)

plongeur66

• View Profile
Air/Tire Compressor From An Air Conditioner Compressor
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:18:56 AM »
Was in need of a high volume compressor, as my cheapie inflators aren't capable of seating the bead on a tire. Took apart a portable AC and found the compressor conveniently mounted to a wheeled base:

After pumping out the refrigerant, I cut the copper tubes and wires. Wired a cord directly to the compressor:
One wire from your cord goes to "common" wire on the compressor.
The other wire goes to the "run" terminal on the compressor, and one terminal of the capacitor.
The remaining "start" wire coming from the compressor goes to the other terminal of the capacitor.
The terminals are usually identified on the plastic terminal cover on top of the compressor, you might need to lift it up to see which color wire connects where. It should start right up when you plug in the cord. I chopped the air hose off a beater bicycle pump, hoping to find a longer one at some point (but refuse to pay for it).
Compressor came from an 8KBTU AC, is quick at blowing up a tire. Bead usually seats in about 5 seconds, tire is at 35 PSI within 30 seconds.

Scav

• View Profile
Re: Air/Tire Compressor From An Air Conditioner Compressor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
Very neat. I've always wanted to play around with one of these compressors.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one.