Author Topic: The way back machine, a look at dumpsterworld forum...  (Read 537 times)

Jayfosters

• View Profile
The way back machine, a look at dumpsterworld forum...
« on: December 25, 2016, 07:37:10 PM »
I was trying to reach a synchromysticism forum I used to visit and found it has closed down and become part of something called the way back machine. So I searched a few things and found dumpsterworld, a forum I have only heard of because I did not start diving until 2012.

Some interesting stuff...

https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.dumpsterworld.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20061207122549/http://www.dumpsterworld.com/index.php?topic=3331.0

plongeur66

• View Profile
Re: The way back machine, a look at dumpsterworld forum...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
That place was as busy as Grand Central Station back in the day. Not sure exactly why it went belly-up. Maybe possible to mirror/download the whole database to your own computer? Now there's mostly Reddit and Pootube. Reddit nazis have a hair-trigger on the dump button. Posts there one minute....messages disappear and poster banned a minute later. Take pictures of the boxes of some game consoles that you may or may not have found. People yell "Empty boxes, nobody would throw those out!"  Poster banned and message gone. Another guy had his fingers chewed off by his bike while diving. Post deleted for not being related to diving. As bad or worse than the feebay seller boards that I don't waste my time on. I wish there was a way to monitor a board every couple of minutes. Have the monitoring program show me only posts that were deleted. Any post that motivated the mods to dump it is likely entertaining, useful information, or something true/incriminating about them.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
I spent about half an hour going through old posts on dumpsterworld and they were very entertaining. Some of them that were not archived I could not access, but some were and the threads were interesting. I look forward to spending more time in the archives.

Agreed about Red dit. I know some who actually seem thrilled about the death of the traditional dumpster forums. Red dit is a controlled corporate beast, and will not tolerate any thing that is not PC with the mods. I am surprised more people have not migrated here, I guess people don't want to share unless they are under the umbrella of the mega corporations. Herd mentality I guess. I guess I could do a better job of posting pictures, but I am not sure if it would make a difference. And I must admit I have tried to scare off some newbie divers on red dit just because sometimes I get tired of all the locked and empty dumpsters I encounter due to diving becoming mainstream and new divers being careless. It was better when most people had no clue. And IMO big draws like Red dit and Ytube are not the best place to share information because too many outsider eyes and ears are present.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
Whoa what a trip, this takes me back.

It was started by Mr. Bobo in 2002 I think. I joined in May of 2004 and would post all my finds from the curb and tons of stuff at rat shack.

Man I can't believe that was 12 years ago. That's crazy!

I miss how busy it was, and all those old usernames. It really was a great community and it's sad to see it gone.

We even had a chat room at one point - and there were usually people in it!

I am surprised more people have not migrated here

They probably don't know this place exists, or even know to look for it. reddit is this mega forum that delivers any forum all in one place. DW flourished before this was a thing.

It sure would be nice to see more people on here though

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
I guess people don't want to share unless they are under the umbrella of the mega corporations.
Don't let the reddit liberals fool you, they despise most corporations. The typical corporation sells stuff people choose to buy voluntarily, like cars, electronics, and oil (we all know how much liberals like that) ;D. Much of the stuff isn't worth paying full retail price for when it first comes out. But some of it eventually finds it's way into our dumpsters, and onto the used market at a reduced price. Reddit, like the entire Hollywood industry, wouldn't exist if advertising for "regular" corporate stuff wasn't paying it's bills.
They keep cheering for the Tesla Muskrat, (Solyndra reincarnate). He appears to be constipated, as he's ingesting huge amounts of government money and not generating any output to show for it.  :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:36:40 AM by plongeur66 »

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
 :D I will be sure not to let the reddit liberals fool me LOL.

On the archives I see a user named "vegasjay" around the 2010 mark I think. I am not him just for the record, I did not begin diving until 2012. Yea, I am enjoying looking back at some of those old threads. You can tell diving was better back then before it went mainstream. People could actually make a lot of money at it. Now days you have to combine it with hitting the thrifts almost daily if you want to make any $ IMO.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
The stories of pulling ink out of the bins and getting $1400 for one drop definitely sound nice. Badwill used to be my personal favorite bins. $300 guaranteed 7 nights a week, sometimes over $1000. Often stuff donated by Tarjet, with whole cases just heaved into the bin. Now it's a stroke of luck just scoring one $20 item. Their bins nowadays are mostly solid-pack books, with the occasional piece of broken glass mixed in. One lucky bulk zerox toner score in a paperclips roll-off last spring, don't think I've scored half a dozen empty ink carts since then.