Author Topic: Repairing DVD discs / video games  (Read 293 times)

Jayfosters

• View Profile
Repairing DVD discs / video games
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:11:20 PM »
This video explains how to use a polishing compound and a lathe to buff out scratches from a CD / DVD. I suppose you could use a dremel with a polishing pad also it just might take longer. I dive and sometimes buy scratched games / dvds so this is good to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvdH9rTZgc

plongeur66

• View Profile
Re: Repairing DVD discs / video games
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:54:39 PM »
I have tried this a couple of times without luck.
The drive you are using makes a big difference in how many errors you get. Newer drives are crap, much more prone to errors. I have a full-size DVD-ROM drive in an old desktop that's over 15 years old. This will often read all the sectors on a disc where my newer laptop drives will fail after only 2%. I use the isopuzzle program: http://www.videohelp.com/software/IsoPuzzle
This will keep retrying for days if needed. You can also open your drive tray and the program will wait for you to close it again. So if your favorite orifice store has drilled some discs, the holes will be in different places. You can swap discs (of identical programs) until you read all the sectors. Turn off the "allow cooldown" option unless your drive is heating up - it will double your recovery time if left on. You wind up with an ISO file that you can burn to a new disc, or mount with a program like Daemon Tools.

A Q-tip chucked in a dremel will reputedly work on scratches - run dry, no abrasives required.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:57:12 PM by plongeur66 »

Scav

• View Profile
Re: Repairing DVD discs / video games
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »
You can also open your drive tray and the program will wait for you to close it again. So if your favorite orifice store has drilled some discs, the holes will be in different places. You can swap discs (of identical programs) until you read all the sectors. Turn off the "allow cooldown" option unless your drive is heating up - it will double your recovery time if left on. You wind up with an ISO file that you can burn to a new disc, or mount with a program like Daemon Tools.

Haha this is brilliant.