Author Topic: Nexus 5 Repair  (Read 460 times)

Scav

• View Profile
Nexus 5 Repair
« on: March 05, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
I thought I already posted my first repair. Guess not.

The ribbon cable that connects the display to the motherboard failed abruptly a few nights ago. I had replaced this part around October. Turns out cheap Chinese parts don't last long.

Well I need a phone and couldn't wait a week for replacement parts, so I bought a new phone that night.

Now that there's no rush, I'm going to order the replacement part and fix this again.

In the photo below, the ribbon cable that plugs into the board in the left has failed. The connector was actually getting was because it's making a bad connection.

I'll update when the part arrives.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:41:43 PM by Scav »

plongeur66

• View Profile
Re: Nexus 5 Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
Apparently cheap cables are like cheap flashlights.  >:(
I'd replace the cable with a cheapie once more, and then sell the phone. Somebody else's problem the next time it breaks.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
I did post about my repair in December. Man that didn't last long at all. Here's a shot from the last repair:

Nah I'm going to repair it and use it for a security camera or something. Without the daily wear and tear of being bounced and tossed around I doubt I'll have any other issues with it. And if it breaks again, I'm only out another eight bucks.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:05 AM »
Might be cheaper to acquire an OEM cable by buying somebody's used, broken phone. Phone with a busted screen should be cheap on feebay. I wanted a flex cable for a cheap flip phone ~15 years ago. Only one available was ~$25 and 3 months away on the slow sailboat from China. I started browsing used phones. I find a listing saying "This phone is shot...literally". Guy had decided to put a 9mm bullet through it. Auction starts at 99 cents, free shipping...and doesn't go any higher. With fees & shipping, guy loses money sending it to me. I harvest the cable when I get the phone, the bullet had passed next to the cable rather than through it.  :)
Using the phone as a security cam likely won't work well. Most phone cams stop recording in 30 mins or less, regardless of how large an SD card you put in them.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
Cool repair. I have investigated repairing smart phones to flip on fee bay, but when I looked into it and saw all the things you had to do just to replace a cracked screen, I was over whelmed. If I was tech savvy like you guys I would definitely be buying the i ph ones and ga laxy's w/ cracked screens and repairing them to flip.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »
Lots of competition in that business. The dish TV guys even make house calls to replace screens & batteries:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/3/11576284/dish-iphone-smart-phone-repairs-announced-pricing
Found a couple of new iphone 6 replacement screens in the paperclips bin, was hoping they'd sell for at least $50 apiece.
No luck, they're worth $25 at the most for the whole assembly including digitizer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/for-iPhone-6-5-5S-5C-LCD-Replacement-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Display-HOT-SALE-Lot-/222400503778

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
A broken phone is a good idea. I checked it out though and even the broken ones are relatively expensive, like $30-60 range. These guys know what they have.

I'm still not that good at fixing these fiddly electronics. Everything is so flimsy and delicate.

I tried replacing a screen on some junk phone and ended up doing a terrible job. I heated the LCD too much when loosening the old digitizer. And I had to use UV activated epoxy to glue the glass in place. Getting it all in the right place with no air bubbles was beyond my ability.

It's definitely something I need a lot more practice with.