Author Topic: Dell Laptops  (Read 47 times)

plongeur66

• View Profile
Dell Laptops
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
Picked up a nice 17" Dell Core 2 Duo laptop at a garage sale for $10. Came with a Targus power supply. Laptop worked, but was slow even after I cleaned the previous owner's crap off it. Battery would not charge, I bought another one. Waste of money, new one wouldn't charge either. I then found this info online:
http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed
Dell laptops will refuse to charge the battery with any generic power supply. They will throttle the CPU's speed to that of a netbook. I dug through my bins of dived parts and first found a 60 watt Dell power supply. The laptop then complained that it wanted a 90 watt adapter. It slowly charged the battery, but left the CPU at netbook speed. The original battery also took a good charge, though it had probably been left completely flat for over a year. I dug farther down into my bins and found 2 Dell 90 watt OEM adapters. This brought it back to life, benchmarks sprang from 600 to about 2400. Worth keeping now. Found a hack online that apparently will allow me to run a T9800 (Penryn) CPU in place of the existing Merom one by soldering a jumper on the motherboard. Should give a 60% speedup, $20 chip on the way from China.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
Re: Dell Laptops
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
I have been having computer trouble the last couple months as well, ever since my pc got a virus and died. I used my old lap top for a while but it was painfully slow, even after being restored to factory and updated. A week ago I purchased an XP running win 7 from a computer shop. When I run Firefox it hangs up and has trouble loading pages, giving a script error. I tried adding some plug ins but it did not help. So then I switched to chrome browser and so far things have improved. Hope they stay this way.

Scav

• View Profile
Re: Dell Laptops
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:48:35 AM »
What a dick move on Dell's part to keep people buying OEM chargers.