Author Topic: Halogen Convection Oven  (Read 797 times)

plongeur66

• View Profile
Halogen Convection Oven
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
I pulled this out of the badwill bin a couple of years ago. Used it probably twice a week since without issue. Yesterday, when time was up, it kept running. I unplug and replug it. It just has random display segments lit up, beeps and is unresponsive to button presses. Basically acts like it's brain was fried by a power surge.
I take it apart and find two boards - one with heavy wires, the other with the SMD chip/brain. I check the power board first, nothing visibly burned. I then check the other board and notice a thin film of kitchen grease, like what you'd find inside a range hood. I get out some isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to dissolve the grease, then dry with a heat lamp. This got it working again. The fan draws the grease-laden air across the circuit board before exhausing it. This is conductive enough to throw off the CPU clock and shut the unit down. Anybody finding one of these in the trash should definitely clean off the board of a non-functioning unit before condemning it. I sprayed some acrylic sealer onto the board to protect it from cooking vapors in the future - something that should have been done at the factory.

Scav

• View Profile
Re: Halogen Convection Oven
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Good call on sealing the board. How do you like the oven? I've seen a few at the thrift store and always wondered. Any better than a toaster oven?

plongeur66

• View Profile
Re: Halogen Convection Oven
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
These have quite a bit more room than most toaster ovens. Cooking times are generally faster by a third. Main thing I like is that nothing will stick to them - no scouring and oven cleaner needed to clean. The light is just "eye candy", it has no effect on efficiency or how the unit cooks. I had a similar unit I dived at Aaldi several years ago. Regular black non-luminous heater and mechanical controls. The bi-metal thermostat open-circuited after a couple of years. By that time, the fan propeller had hopelessly seized onto the motor shaft. I destroyed the unit trying to get it apart to replace it's thermostat. Small kitchen appliances tend to burn out a lot quicker than even incandescent light bulbs. I probably put about 120 hours total on the Aaldi oven. Toasters/toaster ovens/electric heaters seem to quickly meet the same fate.
The convection ovens work well for most foods. But there is no heat directly from the bottom. Pizza will be soft rather than crispy. This doesn't bother me, but is enough to draw complaints from some people.