Author Topic: Keurig Overheated  (Read 2630 times)

Scav

• View Profile
Keurig Overheated
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
I have a Keurig with a color LCD that I took home from the office. It was leaking so they tossed it. This was about a year ago. I just got around to opening it up and finding the leak.

I disassembled most of it and foolishly removed a small TRIAC from the bottle metal case where it was dispersing its heat. When I ran it with the TRIAC floating free, the machine powered on and heated the water. I saw where the leak was (small plastic fitting) and it was no big deal to replace. Then things got too hot and the water in the reservoir began boiling. Steam and boiling water shot from the output into a coffee cup I had placed beneath it. I unplugged the unit. The TRIAC was red hot.

Now, even after it's been allowed to cool for days, the LCD displays "System Overheated". I'm not sure if the TRIAC is toast or even had anything to do with the overheating. Last time I used the machine months ago, it wasn't overheating. There is what looks like a thermal protector on the side of the water reservoir - not sure if that's at fault until I bring home my multimeter.

It's hard to find any info on these Keurigs. I googled around and can't find any way to resolve the "System Overheated" error. I ordered a new TRIAC and will check out the thermal protector or thermometer. Heard of anything like this? Any ideas?

cryptk

• View Profile
Re: Keurig Overheated
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:06:50 PM »
There's definitely a thermal fuse in there. I would definitely check there first as should be a simple fix.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »
Running that triac without a heat sink is kind of like drag racing your car with no oil in it.  :o
Consider yourself lucky that it didn't explode and spray you with shards of red-hot ceramic.
Highly unlikely that it survived, an ohmmeter test will likely reveal a short across at least 2 terminals. Thermal fuse or cutout is an easy test - should have continuity at room temp.
Not saying it's actually the case, but it's possible the code is meant to be fatal. They could have programmed it to shut down permanently  in case the overheating incident damaged wiring insulation. Less liability for them if compromised wiring can't burn user's house at a later time - and "persuasion" for the customer to buy another machine.

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:17:43 AM »
There's what appears to be a thermal fuse on the side. I only had a voltage tester at the time, and it had 120V on either side powered on.

Yeah, really stupid of me to run it with the triac floating free. I even thought while I was wiring it up to heat sink it but it must have slipped my mind. I ordered a new one off digikey for ten bucks and will swap them out.

Knowing Keurig, I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentionally bricked when it overheats. It was a $450 machine. I really hope they'd make it somewhat serviceable.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
I'm surprised they put a number you could cross-reference on the triac rather than a secret "house number" that you'd never find a match for. $10 is actually quite expensive, triacs are usually less than a buck.
Manufacturers do some strange things to their product. Run certain Epson printers long enough and they'll die showing a message to the effect of "Certain parts inside your printer have reached their life expectancy. Please head directly to your retailer and buy a new Epson printer". They just use a page counter to determine if the ink pad the printhead parks on top of is likely saturated. Keep ink stain off customers furniture, sell another printer. First Alert CO alarms and some smoke alarms will beep continuously and show an error exactly 5 years after you first plug them in - enforced lifespan. Keurig could conceivably have been programmed "If you sense 300F, never heat up again". Replacing the brain board would be the likely fix if this is actually the case. Odd that there is no mention of the overheating error online, the printer and CO detector issues are mentioned all over.
"Single Serve Coffee Forum" seems to be the most prolific with Keurig talk.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:39:16 PM by plongeur66 »

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
Did replacing the triac fix it?

Scav

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:54:08 AM »
No, I'm still getting the same warning. I haven't had a chance to do any more with it lately. They're a real pain to work on and obviously not meant to be serviced. Everything is plastic and jammed into the case very tightly. I suspect you're right in assuming it's been bricked. If I can find a board cheap enough I may go for that, otherwise it's destined for the trash.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »
Triac is generally used to make something run at less than full power. Most common use is as a light dimmer. In the Keurig, it would be used to limit power to the heater, or make a pump run at less than full speed. Can you trace the wiring to see which it is wired in series with? Does the heater have continuity? - should likely be less than 20 ohms. Have you figured out a reliable way to pop the tops off the Keurigs without breaking the tabs?

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »
Got my spray painted Keurig 2.0 fired up this morning and tried to use the k-cups I dived recently to brew some coffee. I got an "oops, you are using the wrong K-cup" message. I am going to try a "hack" I saw on youtube and maybe that will clear it, otherwise i will have to buy newer model k-cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0RsfWCIgo

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 11:44:11 PM »
otherwise i will have to buy newer model k-cups.
Protect your wallet, don't get sucked in. Most people say the hacks work, you'll have to decide if it's worth your time. You'll likely need at least one intact foil from a new K-Cup.
Coffee K-cups I don't drink, just resell. I do drink hot chocolate. If I find those cups, I just tear off the foil and pour into a cup of milk I warmed in the microwave.
I have one of the small (recalled) Keurigs hanging around. The only thing I've used it for was some Hot Spiced Cider cups.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:07:57 AM by plongeur66 »

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 01:47:47 AM »
I have a few dived newer cups. I am going to try in the morning and see if the hack works. I have been on tea every morning since I got off 3rd shift. I used to have to have coffee or I could not work nights.

Jayfosters

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
Hack worked! I used a Starbucks Pike's peak cup I found a few weeks back and placed the lid on the old K-cup and it brewed great. It did take about 3 or 4 times of trying because the lid kept falling off. Now I know the machine works too.

cryptk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »
Those 2.0 cups do have a lot more coffee in them. They're also a lot more recyclable. I don't like those machines so I've just been dumping out the coffee and using in a normal coffee maker.

plongeur66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
There's a few different hacks. I like the one where you stick the foil up inside the unit more or less permanently (I supppose it might disintegrate after a few months). If you're planning to keep the machine, you won't need to mess with each cup individually.
B31 seems to be the cheapest, simplest and most reliable unit. No reservoir made of cheap, brittle plastic that's way more breakable than glass. No intake pump to leak or seize up. You just pour the water in the top and raise the handle to release it into the machine.

morpheiuz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 07:07:30 AM »
otherwise i will have to buy newer model k-cups.
Protect your wallet, don't get sucked in. Most people say the hacks work, you'll have to decide if it's worth your time. You'll likely need at least one intact foil from a new K-Cup.
Coffee K-cups I don't drink, just resell. I do drink hot chocolate. If I find those cups, I just tear off the foil and pour into a cup of milk I warmed in the microwave.
I have one of the small (recalled) Keurigs hanging around. The only thing I've used it for was some Hot Spiced Cider cups.

With a little work it's easy to completely disable the DRM check it uses to determine if you can use a K-cup in the newer 2.0 version, and unlock the full menu options

https://youtu.be/Bx3XQgOApwM